Health is the state of well-being including emotional, spiritual and physical of a person. Throughout the growing period, different types of illness develop which affect our bodies. A good lifestyle and proper diet can help in minimizing this illness. Understanding the various measures is necessary for checking the progress and evaluating the health status of any human being. Most people who are not in pain tend to ignore their health.
These indicators have a positive range and negative ranges defined by the World Health Organization. The variables are sequentially and periodically measured over time to show the changes in direction and speed which help in comparing health indications among various communities, people, countries or communities.
Essential characteristics of health Indicators
- Should be valid to meet the intended purpose and target
- Should be reliable and objective. When similar symbols are used during research, they should arrive at the same inference.
- Must be sensitive and respond accordingly in variation concerning the situation at hand.
- Should be specific to respond to the particular situation involved.
- Must be feasible to its attached functions which make data collection easier.
- Should be relevant. Relevance helps in the understanding of the concerned concept.
Indicators of health include the following;
This refers to the number of death rates such as child mortality rate, maternal mortality rate, infant mortality rate, and crude death rate in a particular population. Mortality rate helps in determining the life expectancy of a population. Increased longevity is a clear indicator of good heath.
These indicators are used to indicate the ill heath and diseases burden in a community. However, these indicators are limited since they only represent the clinical cases. In accessing ill heath and diseases, the following points are used.
- Notification rates
- Disability rates
- Spell of sickness and absence from work
- Prevalence and incidence
These are classified as the person type and even type indicators. Even ones include work loss days, bed disability days and restricted activity days. Individual disorders are both limitation of activity and limitation of mobility.
These are based on; proportions and measurements of pre-school kids, weights, and heights of school children and low birth weight in babies.
Health care delivery
This is shown by the number of units of health care system in given physical and geographical locality. The number of health centers facilities has a direct impact on the health condition of a particular area.
- Other indicators include;
- Healthy policy
- Basic needs indicators
- Health for all
- Mental health and social health
- Social, economic indicators